I do.. that’s who.
For me it is really easy to be grateful when everything is going great in my life. When I am with the person that I love, when I get offered the big promotion, when I feel that I have a direction and purpose in my life….. those times it is really easy to be grateful.
What about when things are not going really well. When life’s color has gotten a little too much on you. This is when plans have fallen through after you made them out to go so perfectly. When the play that you are directing does not go off without a hitch.
I am one of those people who can get overwhelmed sometimes when there are a lot of different things going on at the same time. When a majority of these things are not going my way I get really angry and shake my fists in the air. The gratitude that I one had in my life has left me and I try my hardest to get it back.
There is one method that I have learned that will always get me right back where I need to be. The amazing tool that I have to get back into a place of gratitude is………… a gratitude list!
I make a list of all of the assets that i have in my life. These are going to be physical and spiritual assets that I have gained. Usually at the top of the list is going to be my recovery because without it… there is nothing.
Gratitude lists have been an amazing part of life for the past 5 years…. and they will never leave. I need them to bring me back to where I need to be… in gratitude.
How do you get back into gratitude?
Here is my gratitude list for today…
- My recovery
- My loving higher power… that always knows what is best for me.. even when i think that i do.
- The ability to realize that i am not control of this.
- My amazing friends and family at the Beacon House who have helped give me this amazing second chance at life.
- My beautiful partner in life…. who inspires me to be a better human being everyday.
- A job that gives me benefits and the chance to work with some amazing people.
- The ability to pause.. step back… and think.
- The ability to be honest through writing.